Try something new! Try out creating with Decorative Masks. I tend to call it using stencils but Stampin’ Up! call them Decorative Masks. There are three sets to choose from. They are such a low price you can get all three sets for slightly more than a stamp set. These would keep you occupied for months and months!!!
The card above uses the floral mask/stencil from the Butterflies & Flowers Decorative Masks. Find this pack in the Mini Catalogue on page 65 or click here. I have used blending brushes to blend the ink onto the card. I used a colour I don’t tend to use much at all but I was set a challenge so Fresh Freesia take a bow! Along with Polished Pink ink.
A few tips for you that I learned along the way creating this card. This was my first time stencilling.
- Swipe the colour onto your blending brush running in one direction across your ink pad. That way you pick up plenty of colour.
- Tap off on scrap paper to remove any blobs or heavy areas of colour on the brush.
- To begin each flower tap the colour over the centre of the flower, don’t blend at this stage. Get a concentration of colour centrally then gently blend the colour outwards.
- The mask is very fine in sections so gentle blending so you don’t lift the mask and expose areas you wish to remain uncoloured.
- Hold the mask in place with washi tape or similar removable tape.
- Be aware of where the edge of your mask sits. Add scrap paper or extra washi tape to protect that area of card otherwise you will get ink where you do not want it! Learned that one the hard way!
- Start with your lighter colour ink and then add the darker colour this will override any areas you wish to be of that colour.
I have been having an amazing time since making this card, playing with the different sets of masks. You will have to keep popping back here as I share more of my cards using the masks. The masks can be used with inks, embossing paste, embossing powder ( wait until you see what I did using embossing powder! ), pencils, markers and Blends.
To finish this card I added the dots stamp from Artistically Inked. They along with the greeting were stamped using Gorgeous Grape ink. The greeting is from Ranunculus Romance. Adding some Rhinestone Adhesive Gems gives the card that extra lift to make it extra special!
So add these Decorative Masks to your wish list and go ahead try something new!
PS If you would like to see my card ideas and tips sooner how about signing up for my newsletter? Th sign up box is at the top right of this page if on a computer. At the bottom of the page if you are on your mobile phone. Thanks!